Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Some Running Videos

Hey, here are some running videos.  Basically I've been geeking out watching them lately, and I should be in bed right now, but I don't like seeing a two-month-old post at the top of this thing.  So check these out!  I think they're great as drama, even if you're not into running.

They're also a corrective to the tendency that a lot of Americans (myself included, I admit) have to lump all African runners together.  Like, "the Kenyans," or, "the Ethiopians."  There are a lot of colorful personalities on display here if you can get past the hard-to-pronounce names. Especially Sammy Wanjiru, R.I.P.

Oh, and another thing they're a corrective to: people getting obsessed and/or dogmatic about form. Don't get me wrong -- form is important and I think about it all the time.  But in this class I coach I was lecturing people about not holding your arms too high, not swinging them side to side, etc. etc. And some of these guys break a whole bunch of "rules" (even sometimes heel-striking ... the horror ... the horror), all while running 4:30 miles for two hours straight.  So hey, whatever.  To an extent, I think you run how you run.  But, you know, first world problems.

Anyway, without further ado. The first one is my favorite but the second one is pretty badass too.




No comments:

Post a Comment